Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Even More Frogs on My Property at Coles Creek

I went out frogging tonight to locate two species that I was confident that would be out tonight, that I haven't taken photos of in the last few days. These were the Great Barred Frogs and the Tusked Frogs. I heard all of the frogs that I have included in my last two posts calling out again tonight, except for the Dainty Tree Frogs (which is no surprise, as they usually only call out when it is raining lightly). I didn't bother taking photos of most of these species again tonight.

I knew that tonight the Great Barred Frogs would be out as the flood waters have dropped in the area where they are found and it wasn't actually raining. They are definitely my favourite frog on the property and one of my most favoured frogs that I have seen. The group has always lived on the eastern bank of the creek in the small area they are found here. They have lived on this bank for the last  3 years. Tonight I found them all on the western bank of the creek in the same area. I was pleased to hear another group on the edge of the property also. This group isn't as large as the original group but I saw about 5 males in the new area and heard a few others. This is great that they have spread out into more areas. This new area also has very steep banks on the creek and the same types of vegetation and leaf litter also.


One of the 20+ male Great Barred Frogs in the main group

Another angle of the same frog

The same Great Barred Frog again

Another Great Barred Frog in the main group

One of the Great Barred Frogs in the new area

Another angle of the Great Barred Frog in the new area

Another angle of the same Great Barred Frog in the new area

Another angle of the same specimen

There were thousands of Eastern Dwarf Tree Frogs out again. The only reason I stopped to take a photo of this one is because it jumped onto me while I was attempting to find the Tusked Frog.

Eastern Dwarf Tree Frog

I could hear a few Tusked Frogs calling out but I had no luck in locating them. I would have to say they are one of the hardest frogs to find, once you have heard them calling, out of the 22 species that live on the property. At least while I was in the area I heard multiple Broad-palmed Rocket Frogs calling out. I got a few snaps of them which was pleasing because it was another species that I hadn't photographed this season.

Broad-palmed Rocket Frog

The Broad-palmed Rocket Frog from above
 
The same Broad-palmed Rocket Frog from another angle

I couldn't resist taking a photo of the Red Tree Frogs again. Mainly because I don't often hear them in the front paddocks and it was calling out right beside me while I was looking for the Copper-backed Toadlet that I heard calling. To be honest I thought it was the Keferstein's Tree Frog from the picture but the call was that of the Red Tree Frog. I have so much trouble telling these two frogs apart on the property. Unfortunately I didn't find the Copper-backed Toadlet either. Hopefully while the flooding is still around I can get some pictures of the other species that are found or at least heard regularly on the property.

Red Tree Frog calling

Red Tree Frog calling from a slightly different angle
More pics as soon as I can photograph some more of the species on the property.

No comments:

Post a Comment